CPR and First Aid courses are not compulsory but maybe they should be! Why? The more people in a community that know these skills the more often someone suffering a life threatening incident will have a chance of survival. Recognising these situations and acting quickly is the base for all courses today.
The Emergency First Response (EFR) courses offered by Anne Halpenny, known as the Irish Midwife on the Costa del Sol, provide training for these people and all those interested. She completed the Instructors Training in 2011 after listening to parents repeatedly ask questions like ‘what do I do if…….?’ ‘Who do I ring…..?’
With over 40 years experience in developing the training materials and curricula, EFR is well placed to offer courses in the International community. The method is based on independent study followed by a course day to review the theory and put it into practice. Along with teaching DVDs, plenty of training Mannequins and a number of training AEDs, everyone attending spends a lot of time on the practical skills thereby alleviating fears and gaining confidence.
A variety of courses are offered by Anne including:
- Primary & Secondary Care course – 8 hours and suitable for those wishing to come to the assistance of adults.
– Scene Assessment, using Barriers and protecting yourself
– Primary Assessment of the person in need
– CPR, with and without Rescue Breaths
– Serious bleeding management
– Shock Management
– Spinal Injury Management
– Management of a conscious or unconscious Choking Adult
– Injury First Aid eg; Dental, Eye, Electrocution, Burns, Bites, Poisoning
– Illness First Aid eg; Stroke, Heart Attack, Asthma, Allergic reactions,
– Bandaging for strains and sprains. Splinting for fractures
- Primary Care for Schools – 5 hours concentrating on the life threatening situations in the course above.
- Care for Children Course – 8 hours as above for those with responsibility for children
- Basic CPR/AED Course (adults & children) – 4 hours, basic skills for groups of teenagers/clubs.
Group discounts available. Satisfied clients include a number of International School students, teachers and parents. See the facebook page for more info